What is the idea of this website?: to try and make $100,000 to for an awareness and fund raising trip to the Geographic South Pole.
The trip will cost about $67,000. I did have two sponsors, both of whom promised to fund the journey which meant I could concentrate on bringing in as much sponsorship as possible for my two chosen charities (https://www.meningitisnow.org and http://www.soundabout.org.uk/). Sadly, and with only 6 months before I'm due to fly out to Puentas Arenas, one company dropped out. The second company did provide some sponsorship, but I was left with a massive gap in funding.
Crestfallen and worried about what this potential failure might mean to Soundabout and Meningitis Now, I decided to change direction. Instead of approaching a couple of big companies, I decided to open up the journey to a group of smaller investors. I did this by building http://www.northbysouth2017.com/. The aim is to use the site to raise the funds I need for to pay for the journey.
The idea is simple: buy a slot on the front page for $100. The aim is to raise $100,000. ‘But James, your trip only costs $67,000 so why do need $100k?’ Simple; every penny raised above the $67,000 target will go into the donations pot for Soundabout and Meningitis Now (for more information, see the page on Virgin Money Giving).
You can buy as many pixels as you like, as long as there are some available (see the live stats in the top right corner of the page). When you buy some pixels, you can then display an image/ad/logo of your choice in the space you have purchased. You can also have the image click through to your own website. However, no obscene or offensive images are allowed.
More than simply a mention and a link back to your company website, I’ll be giving talks after I return from the South Pole. These will take place in Buckinghamshire which is why I’m looking to work with local companies. If enough businesses from outside the county sponsor me then I’ll run two events - one in Bucks and another in London.
Want to get even more time in the limelight? In return for your sponsorship, I might be able to take some aspect of your business (flag, penant, etc), or product to the Pole. I’m already taking a chicken hat and all sponsors can have a photo of me standing at the South Pole, complete with poultry-attired head.
How It Works
You only need to buy a 1 x 1 pixel (once your purchase is approved I will resize your image). For this you will be charged $100. When you buy some pixels, you can then display an image/ad/logo of your choice in the space you have purchased. You can have the image click through to your own website or to a page on this site that displays more information about your company and with a link back to your website. If you want your link to point to a page on this site then let me know by sending me an email. Please include and text you'd like added to you company page
Note: No obscene or offensive images are allowed.
The pixels you buy will be displayed on the homepage permanently. The homepage will not change. Using some of the money I make from the site, I guarantee to keep it online for at least 5 years, but hopefully much longer. I want it to become a kind of internet time capsule. So, in the long run, the pixels are amazing value. You will helped create a piece of internet history and a bit of art to boot!
Conditions of Purchase
- Minimum Purchase: $100 (which buys you 1 advertising block). Feel free to buy as many as you like or pay more by choosing a larger number of pixels
- You are purchasing a pixel advertisement on the main page lasting at least 5 years.
- You are only allowed to change the Image if your site has undergone a major change. Otherwise it is final.
- No refunds once your pixel block is accepted and put on the main page.
- IMPORTANT:When purchase your pixels select "1 x 1". Once your purchase is approved I will resize the image.
- No obscene/offensive/adult images/links will be accepted.
- If your link is accepted and you later change the content of the linked site to show offensive/obscene/adult material then your link will be removed until you provide a new one, and you will not get a refund of any kind for the link downtime.
- You can get your image removed at any time but it will become publicly available again and you will not receive a refund.
- Images must be the exact size you have paid for (eg. 100 pixels = 10x10 pixels)
- Images must be in GIF, PNG, BMP, or JPEG format AND not animated.
- Links must be to web pages only and begin with http://
- You must have the right to use the image you provide.
- There might be occasional downtime for site maintenance but that will be kept to a minimum and will only be done when switching servers or upgrading
- Your pixels will be added within 24 hours from time of purchase.
Ok great, so now you're all set to buy some pixels.
PayPal is the preferred payment method for purchasing your pixels.
Ordering is now done automatically through the grid selection page. Visit the grid page and simply click on the cell that you would like to purchase. If after crossing your pixel you decide you want to give more money, you will have the opportunity to expand your selection in height and width.